I have just been reading up on the 'cashless' situation in...

1. 499 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I have just been reading up on the 'cashless' situation in Sweden. What a utopian society that place is.

They are an absolute slave to the banks over there, and to tell you the truth, we Australians are not that far behind.

All you can buy at the shops in Sweden, using cash, is groceries and pills. Once the 'old' people die off, probably nothing.

All transactions are now done through a card, or via the Swish app on their phones.

Interestingly, Swish was launched by the six Swedish banks, Bankgirot and the Central Bank of Sweden.

'Tap' payments are convenient. However, banks collective ripping out all the ATMs, so you have no choice...

Also, once the government makes you pay with a 'tap' on public transport, it is pretty much game over.

In 2016, the number of cash transactions in Sweden had fallen to about 1:10. However, it never dropped below that.

The point is, the Swedish banks and government had some pretty strong incentive to push for 100% cashless.

I don't know, but ticket clipping on pretty much all commercial transactions and full real-time monitoring sounds good.

Funnily, the Swedes wear the 'cashless' as a badge of honour. They say only tax dodgers and drug dealers use cash now.

Who knows... However, having to have every transaction mediated by a middle man sounds a bit dodgy too.

Germans are still heavy cash users, but Australians are guaranteed to go down the same path as the Swedes.

The reason being, most Australian's have too much money, too little time, and no cause to question anything.

So, the next job is to figure out what to do when Australians go 100% cashless and there is no cash backup system.

Hard currencies that have weight value would work, until they get confiscated or become illegal to transact in.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.