agree dino.After school I would drop my school bag behind the...

1. 1,752 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    agree dino.
    After school I would drop my school bag behind the front door, and right out again. Parents would not have it any other way, they did not want us making mess inside or getting in mums way while she was cooking.

We kicked the soccer ball, until it was dark, or rode our bikes everywhere. In the winter we have been sledding or skiing at the hill behind our block and there were no chair lifts, you skied down and stepped up, over and over again.
    5 minutes of hard work stepping up, then 20 seconds of pure joy shooting downhill, trying a bit of slalom or we would build a small jump out of compressed snow and tried a bit of jumping too. Yes there was the odd cracked or broken bone, but they grew together in four or six weeks, no worries, part of growing up.

Also in the winter we pored water on our soccer patch just before dark and over few nights it became an ice ring. After that we skated and when we had enough people for two teams, ice hockey match began.

Come spring again, couple poles and a net across our multipurpose patch and we played volleyball. Or lower net down and game just like volleyball except using feet instead of hands was played.

During the Olympics, everyone was impressed by table tennis players, we manged to find an old barrel and old wooden gate and we had table tennis table.
    We found a sheltered spot behind a warehouse, out of the wind, and played table tennis for weeks, until something else came along.
    We all got called home, to eat dinner, just as it was getting dark. Everyone burned thousands of kilojoules and slept well at night.

The only one fat guy -extremely fat- in our class had a medical problem. We used call him a Little Bread Crumb. He got into boxing as a junior heavy weight and died before reaching age 25.

Why are we so stupid now and tell our kids to lock the door and not go out, play with a computer or watch TV?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.