COZ 1.33% 7.6¢ commodities group limited

50 biomass plants on cards in china, page-6

1. 48 Posts.
    OK, Yellowcake isn't biting, so I had to do my own research - doggarn! The following numbers are just indicative for the sake of getting a feel for this thing (so it's only worth arguing if you think I'm way off).

1 t of coal produces 2 MWh of electricity and 3.5 t of CO2 (Wikipedia - must be right).

According to no less a source than China's Wuhan Kaidi Electric Power Engineering Co. Ltd., 1 t of biomass produces 0.88 kWh of electricity. If we assume that this 1 t of biomass consists of dry wood (mallee perhaps?), then it also releases 1.8 t of sequestered CO2.

So rounding off for the sake of easier numbers, it would appear that 1 t of coal plus 3.5 t CO2 is equivalent to 2.5 t of wood biomass plus 4.5 t CO2 in terms of power output.

After some further head scratching, this suggests that it pays to burn wood for electricity, provided you can buy it for less than about $70 per dry tonne (I accept YC's $200/t for coal and $30/t for CO2, for the sake of argument).

So what does this have to do with the price of bread (or fire wood, for that matter)? I can't see dry land wheat farmers digging up their mallees and carting them off to the neighbourhood biomass-fuelled power station just yet. On the other hand, if they can generate some modest income while serving as a wind break, that might just work.

I certainly don't see COZ as the answer to climate change. However, they should be able to bring in a few bob while we come up with a better solution. Also, mallee plantings will not make commercial sense everywhere. For example, a conventional plantation in Tassie should rather think about $700 per tonne of pulp (or whatever the latest price of pulp is). Neither would I expect a sensible farmer like Yellowcake to plant mallees in place of wheat on land that is likely to produce good wheat crops over the next 100 years.

A final thought from the above analysis is that $30 per tonne of CO2 is probably not going to be high enough to do what it is supposed to do in the long run. Ouch...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add COZ (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.