Hiya Watso, You may not be an alcoholic, OR you may be. "watso...

1. 2,721 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 91
    great effort - watso is lucky to be 50 minutes sober at any point in time ..

anyway, for what it is worth, but once when there was a crisis in watso's life - and he self medicated with the slops - then watso went to AA ..

ok - watso did not like the strategy of AA - and simply decided that watso would have to deal with the problem himself ..

as watso is an atheist - he does not remotely believe in a higher power to help him -
    Hiya Watso, You may not be an alcoholic, OR you may be.

"watso is lucky to be 50 minutes sober at any point in time "

But for me, as an Addict, the booze was already a Higher Power, or the alcoholic in me was a Higher Power if you wish.
    My whole life and lifestyle and thinking were ruled by it.
    I was not in control, even if I deludedly thought I was.
    I had contempt for any ideas other than what you yourself described.

However, I ended up Beaten and Buggered at nearly 28 years of age, coming out of one of my frequent blackouts
    hiding behind bushes in Kangaroo Street Murrumbeena outside where the wife who had left me 2 months earlier was living.

I had no idea of why I was there or what I planned to do, that scared the bejesus, out of me.
    She had left me as a result of something I had either said or done at the Sandown Dog Track the previous night.
    As I was in another blackout then, I have no idea to this day what it was.

That was my 'Rock Bottom' , went to my first AA meeting on the Easter Monday 1970, no critical or analytical faculties,
    me, Ego or Self-Will, I was beaten.
    The alkies there were kind and caring, (I was still pissed from the Caulfield Easter Monday Races, usual state, pissed and broke.)
    They had an answer and invited me to keep trying to give it a go, I went into it boots and all (I had no choice anyway).
    Never had a drink of alcohol from that night.

My life changed drastically from that day, and despite being immature and partly mad for ten years, I remarried (48 years this Nov)
    and we had 2 wonderful sons and life progressed to allow me to be a properly functioning member of the Human Race.

Life is very good, even under these circumstances we are all in now.

BTW. Those Alkies were no middle-class wankers, many of them were from the Rugged and Buggered gutter drunk class.

But they were kind and had an answer, and experience, strength and hope to share.

My Higher Power was then The Power Of Example, both positive and negative.
    Have had plenty of other Higher Powers also. AND some humility.

Apologies for the rant, I'm not perfect, still a Left/Greenie.

Each to their own.
    Boz
    I

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.