6 year terms?, page-8

1. 36,517 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1

a 3 year term government is fine with me.

If a party is well prepared for government, it should already have a well developed policy agenda. Once in government, in the first year, it should be able to get the public servants to prepare the necessary legislation for implementation in the second year.

A 3 year cycle does put a lot of pressure on a government to perform in order to win the next election, but that is what people elect it to government for - to govern and put in place its election promises.

The one area that I feel needs to address is the lack of resources, lack of access to the public service, for an opposition to properly formulate its policies. I will not look unfavorably if we can put in place something to cater for the needs of the Opposition to help it to develop credible alternative policies. It is then up to the government of the day and the Opposition to argue their case to the voters in an election campaign, to convince the voters to vote for them.

NSW has a four year fixed term government. I haven't seen it behaving any better.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.