bitzer, As a farmer this issue has fired me up more than any...

1. 420 Posts.
    bitzer,
    As a farmer this issue has fired me up more than any other. Yes, we do pay a levy to the MLA and they are supposed to ensure these type of actions don't occur. Part of the levies we have paid have gone to building suitable facilities in countries receiving live animals. So they have made significant improvements in some areas. There is no denying they have failed dismally in their role as far as Indonesia is concerned and its my view some of the individuals haven't been held to account from the fallout. In my opinion though, its the Government reaction that has failed the most. As its turned out, the people that will suffer the most are the Australian cattle producer from the northern pastoral areas, and these people have done nothing wrong. We don't elect governments to simply shut down an industry over night without warning. Its been reported in the media by the 4 corners program that they made the Australian Govt aware of the images and situation in the slaughter houses some months before the program was aired. But the govt then decided no action was necessary. It wasn't until the program was aired and the public outcry that they decided to act. I just think it was an appalling response to the situation and treated they industry like they were expendable. I don't blame the Indonesian Govt for taking offence, as by our govt response they have made a judgement that every single abattoir in Indonesia (which there are many) are conducting their business in a manner similar to the images aired by 4 corners. Surely the same outcome could have been achieved 1. without jeopardizing the industry 2. upsetting a key trade partner 3. satisfying animal welfare needs. Its my view a phase in period would have achieved a much better outcome for everyone. If necessary a very rapid phase in period. Having working in the northern cattle industry I know the work that goes into getting the animal to a saleable product. The timing for these businesses couldnt have been worse. Most of the businesses that participate in this industry are small family run operations.
    I've been reading forums and newspaper article wherever this issue is discussed and it amazes me the lack of understanding that people have in regards with this industry and agriculture as a whole. That fine except those same people have such a vocal view on how agriculture in Australia should be conducted. And whenever we try to make a stand for our industry we are branded in all sorts of ways. I think we have the right to stand up for our industry and livelihood. People want cheap food but also want the producer to do it in such a way that makes food expensive. I am a 3rd generation farmer and have been at it for 25 years and I certainly don't do this because its financially rewarding. But I do wish to be viable in my business. I find it necessary whenever I raise this issue to declare that I too was appalled by the images and something needed to be done. If I don't declare this people assume because I have the views as mentioned above I therefore condone that type of animal treatment. I don't know anyone involved in this industry that wasn't moved by the story, but its the manner in which the govt when about fixing it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.