60s and 70s houses

1. 6,066 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 294
    Story in Sunday press about 60s and 70s houses revival. People starting to renovate and upgrade them after years of being looked down on. They are great buys if chosen corectly. Many middle ring suburbs of Perth were developed in the 60s and are now looking old and dated. Investment wise you have good choices. One option is to buy run down basic sixties close to facilities and rent out as is until they start being redeveloped. Many suburbs like Melville, Morley etc will eventually rise in value and knock the house down for multi units. The other option is to buy and fix up to on sell for profit. 60s and 70s houses are mostly solidly built with Jarrah floors and roof frames, and double brick. They need stripping out and updated kitchens and bathrooms, nothing too flash just clean basic lines. They can look great and if bought well and held for a couple of years you can do well. Beware though some of them are weird, experimental design ideas, flat low rise roofs, bathrooms in the centre of the house and walls everwhere can be too radical for buyers and too expensive to fix. I have been doing this for last 10 years but I am very selective in what I buy. The commonest mistakes I have seen are people over spending. They buy a property that is too small or in the wrong area. They then renovate to a high standard and even add on rooms etc. When it comes time to sell buyers will not pay over the top for that area.
    Funny how when you read about something in the paper the latest trend etc it is usually too late. Still plenty of options but 60s and 70s are the hottest thing around at this stage.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.