IFL 2.46% $2.38 insignia financial ltd

There are more than a single 'one dimensional' way to use short...

1. 19,112 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3682
    There are more than a single 'one dimensional' way to use short positions in the market.

The obvious and most well known one is to profit from a reduction in price, either individually, or part of a short attack on the share price.

Another way that short positions are used in many stocks, and often in larger and/or cyclical stocks or in markets as a whole, is as a hedge position - particularly after strong gains have been made in the shorter term (for whatever reason), or when a market maybe at the top of a cycle. These can often represent a percentage of a position or portfolio (eg- 70% hedged, 100% hedged, 120% hedged etc).
    Short positions used as a hedge are usually fairly non-threatening to the share price overall.

Short positions can also be used as part of a strategy, which is a little more complex, but can also make up some proportion of the open short positions.

Obviously, the total open short positions are likely to be made up of some combination of these trading styles, rather than just one form.

For me, IFL does not trade in a fashion that suggests a large percentage of the short positions are for individual profit, or as part of a short attack on the share price (not at all).
    Instead, I feel the bulk maybe made up of relatively non-threatening hedging positions (and probably not many are open as part of any strategy positions).

cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IFL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.38
Change
-0.060(2.46%)
Mkt cap ! $1.596B
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.39 $2.42 $2.37 $3.955M 1.661M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
6 41038 $2.38

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.40 26405 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
IFL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.