GDN 0.00% 1.7¢ golden state resources limited

7000psi mud pressures at 4.5km...

1. 15,276 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 45
    I think the market just doesn't get this well...

Although I suggest it might help if the company were to provide more interpretation of results for the market?

lol...then again, perhaps they know exactly what they are doing?

Here is a rather motherly, yet still useful reference...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-484/Ch5.htm

Extract...

"Hydrostatic pressure allows the fluid to support the borehole wall and is a function of the density or weight of the mud column. Important characteristics of a drilling mud are viscosity and weight to carry cuttings, gel strength, yield point, and active clay solids for filter cake. Use the following formula to calculate hydrostatic pressure:

Hp=(Md)x(d)x(0.052)

where...

Hp = hydrostatic pressure, in psi.
    Md = mud density, in pounds per gallon.
    d = hole depth, in feet."

From GDN's drill file, the drilling muds were to be weighted between about 9-12ppg (pounds per gallon)...compared to water which weighs about 8.34ppg. Now using this we can determine potential pressures being applied by the mud column against the formation walls at current depths?

We'll assume the lowest mud weight...

Hp = hydrostatic pressure (in psi)
    Md = 9.0ppg (parts per gallon)
    d = 15,800ft (approx drill depth).

Hp = 9.0ppg x 15,800ft x (0.052)

Hp = 7,394psi

Given this high pressure down hole. head pressure scenario, assuming my notes are correct of course (confirmation from experts invited), any gas what-so-ever returning to surface in the muds must be a very good sign?

So current gas readings from such depths, given the pressures we are talking here, must be suggesting formation gas pressures of greater than 7,394psi?

WTF...can this be so?

Now...it may well be that drilling mud weights are reduced for such depths (I don't know?), which may indeed be one of the reasons behind casing further up (so that mud weights can be specifically targeted for current depths), but even "foaming" up the muds and reducing weights to just 6ppg will still see pressures on the formations at these depths of some 4,930psi.

lol...no wonder the company is a little surprised at the markets reaction to the recent announcement? They appear to be getting significant influx of gas from Leadville to the tune of 300 units background and 1,100 units trip gas...in spite of some 5000-7000psi mud pressures on the formations?

lol...and the market thinks these are bad results...are they really that thick?

Cheers!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GDN (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.