This follows on from Far Nth Qld.Our family moved from the north...

1. 17,848 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 14
    This follows on from Far Nth Qld.

Our family moved from the north after mechanization removed the need for cane cutters and in the early sixties we arrived at the lower reaches of the Murray-Darling basin in South Australia. Here we found a man-made ribbon of lush, green vegetation where irrigated orchards contrasted strongly with the semi-desert surroundings that were dominated by tough, gnarled Mallee gums.

Soon after arrival new impressions were overwhelmed the senses as deciduous trees and vines shed yellow-bronze leaves in autumn to later bloom in early spring. Almonds were the first to bloom and on sunny winter days they evoked a mixture of joy and awe at the ability of these plants to defy freezing cold nights that could kill citrus trees.

Later in spring and summer flocks of parrots, galahs, and cockatoos arrived to forage in nearby plantations. While feeding, these intelligent birds socialized, indifferent to my approaches until I neared,causing them to surge away in a swirling kaleidoscope of colour, sound and movement. Needless to say the owner never harvested much of a crop as those powerful parrots made short work of the crop, including the difficult to crack, hard-shelled varieties.

With the river so near, it was no problem reaching our spots where we bathed and fished during summer, and in order to demonstrate our courage, we swam across the river on quite a few occasions. Depending on the speed of the currents, we aimed upstream in reach our landing spot, blissfully unaware of a river capable of sucking down strong swimmers into whirlpools, not to be found for several days until their bloated body rose to the surface.Swimming across the Murray is something few residents would dream of doing nowadays.

Building something that floated was a common preoccupation as youths.
    Tin canoes were hastily constructed using an iron roofing sheet, flattened out and nailed onto pieces of wood for a bow and stern. Gaps were sealed with bitumen scraped from the road on hot days,creating an unstable and difficult to navigate canoe.

After experimenting with rafts and canoes, I wondered about bark canoes cut from large river red gums by aboriginals as indicated by scars found on the old trees. How did those crafts actually manage to float!

I came to appreciate the value of River red gums, the true characters found along the Murray’s banks and floodplains. They provided food and habitat for a wide range of birds, insects, and mammals within their expansive canopies while aquatic creatures found niches around submerged branches and roots.

Those giants allowed settlers to build homes and animal enclosures, fence the land, fuel the kitchen, and until roads were built, powered steamers carrying people and cargo along the Murray.

We made tracks through thick stands of bulrushes along riverbanks, arriving at creeks where we fished for yabbies using a piece of string, some meat, and a wire scoop for lifting these menacing looking crustaceans from the water.

As teenagers spotlighting for rabbits and foxes was commonplace, but in time I developed an aversion to rabbit flesh, maybe the result of the cruelty inflicted on the animals. Not appreciating the violence of spring-jaw traps, se tin the evening and checked the following morning, my trapping inflicted much suffering on those pests, still animals capable of feeling pain. Often only half a rabbit remained as feral cats and foxes ate the snared creature.

Rabbits caught in a trap had their leg mangled and if a young rabbit was caught, its whole body would be crushed. This occurred for several years until my mid-teens when I was able to use my brothers rifle fitted with a telescopic lens.

Our football team aptly had the colours green and gold─ a reflection of the orchards and vineyards which stood out against a backdrop of yellow Mallee wheat crops, but the strongest image that remains is of a sea of golden cut apricots placed on drying trays in the sun. Within a couple of days in our hot dry summer golden fruits dried to become a deep orange red shade.

Last edited by RedCedar: 13/11/19

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.