85% house price falls in Sydney predicted OUCH., page-37

1. 2,628 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 220
    ... and when everything drops as this person has predicted, I will somehow come through unscathed and I"LL BE FINE. Everyone else will be financially destroyed, but I will finally improve my way of life and everyone will still be happy to see me succeed in such circumstances.

It's more than a bit naive.

The sheer magnitude a change that would cause to the economy and society would completely destabilise your current way of life.
    Empty shops, no one going to work, riots, crime and looting if you left your home unattended. Prices skyrocketing, people doing whatever it takes just to get by.

BUT, that's not what the article actually said. In the intro, (the part I can read without subscription) refers to "House prices in "non-aspirational suburbs" of NSW and outer Melbourne, where house prices are high compared to the area's income, could fall as much as 85 per cent,"
    Which is slightly more believable, because it refers to a driver (income levels) and also shows that the property market is not homogenous. A common misconception made by the inexperienced and misinformed posters around here.

THINK for a moment about why a person that lends money to residential borrowers, whose business is located in Bronte, just around the corner from one of the most famous suburbs in Australia would be saying that comparably priced property(and lower) in an alternative and competing location to their business, might be motivated to do so...? (Is it to highlight the differentiation (desirable location) of the product that their customers are looking to buy? I think so)

The annotations posted are quite good too, shows good reasoning.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.