No you do not understand how human society works. If there is a...

1. 705 Posts.
    No you do not understand how human society works. If there is a natural problem you can't sue anyone. If you produce a product such as coal or petroleum and your product causes damage, You can get sued. The more people who are able to demonstrate measurable damage, the more likely that litigation will follow.

If/when cases come before the courts who do you think will be the expert witnesses?

Will they be right wing ideologues from blogsites like this one? I think not.

Will they be the right wing commentators who only ever say things they believe their audience will like? I think not.

Will they be the leading scientists at the forefront of research? I think so.

Anyone who owns shares in fossil fuel companies should be assessing the risk of their company facing the same kinds of problems faced by James Hardie over asbestos. Just in case you don't know, asbestos is a natural set of fibrous minerals. If you dig the natural stuff up and use it in products, then you are accountable if people get damaged. Asbestos suppliers were unlucky in that their products caused one particularly nasty cancer as well as a whole series of less cause specific disorders. The link is not yet as clear between greenhouse gas pollution and actual measurable damage to real people but you can be sure there are plenty of lawyers ready for any coming tsunami of litigation.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.