They can't manufacture life in this way and then claim that the...

1. 3,979 Posts.
    They can't manufacture life in this way and then claim that the only alternative is that a God did it, which tells us nothing. I think they can so long as the debate then centres on what might then be the nature of God? It is obviously beyond the concept of human intellect. Is it possible for life to be non-existent and then come into being? I don't know but I doubt that a complete absence of life of any is possible. Just as some kind of pre-matter state may have existed, a pre-life state is likely to exist from time to time and when conditions are suitable matter blooms followed by life. I believe that rather than being self-establishing there is a Principle State of Order that enables these processes.

Sounds reasonable. But we don't really know. I think we do, I don't know of any outcome that did not exist in potential firstly.

Relative to what? Relative to what we understand of beginnings and ends. Before you and I existed we were in some other disassociated state. When we die will will again move into a disassociated state, but the reality is that the atoms of our constitution continue on their merry way and nothing is lost of us. The universe even appearing from a quantum fluctuation, or some such, is not a nothingness to a somethingness, it is one state to another.

That only emphasises the roles played by religious beliefs, not of their correctness. History is full of incorrect beliefs. That's a big incongruous with the outcome. Look at it as a scientist. Religion built humanity, therefore religion must be . . . . ? Must be . . . . ? Come on, whisper it. An essential and fundamentally real and necessary aspect of the human condition.

In my experience, the life blood of most religions is to play on people's insecurities. This has been my experience also, but mostly because the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Legal systems, politics, marriage and religions start out with the best of intentions and can be corrupted over time. Religion is at its lowest ebb at the moment. And yes, I certainly do not doubt the sincerity of the JW and the self-sacrificing commitment they make, my point was more to do with the riveted on positions such religions end up with this removes insecurities and enables them to dismiss the opinions of others without a moments consideration.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.