You don't have to convince me that the blame that led to the...

1. 5,245 Posts.
    You don't have to convince me that the blame that led to the need for the period of Enlightenment all lay with religion. The Religious and the Oligarchies were very much in bed with each other for reasons that suited them both. The result was the suppression of human development

That’s no so, I know that’s the general perception floating in our culture, if you done your research first thing you will notice is that there was heaps of propaganda thrown about during the enlightenment period to wrestle control off the church and it has stuck.

The reality is the Church was never against learning, a simple search will prove that, here is a link for a list of church scientist you can see they existed long before the enlightenment came about, matter of fact the founders most likely studied in catholic universities and many were actually clerics who rebelled against the church.

I challenge you to open this link and check them out, then tell me that religion was against human development.
    As I can’t post all the list below is a sample

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Catholic_clergy_scientists

And while you’re at it maybe you can explain why 35 Lunar Craters are named after Jesuit Scientist

http://faculty.fairfield.edu/jmac/sj/scientists/lunacrat.htm

The churchmen-scientists

A
    [edit] José de Acosta (1539–1600) – Jesuit missionary and naturalist who wrote one of the first detailed and realistic descriptions of the new world[6]
    • François d'Aguilon(1567–1617) – Belgian Jesuit mathematician, architect, and physicist, who worked on optics
    • Lorenzo Albacete(1941–2014) – priest, physicist, and theologian
    • Albert of Castile(c. 1460 – 1522) – Dominican priest and historian
    • Albert of Saxony (philosopher)(c. 1320 – 1390) – German bishop known for his contributions to logic and physics; with Buridan he helped develop the theory that was a precursor to the modern theory of inertia[7]
    • Albertus Magnus(c. 1206 – 1280) – Dominican friar and Bishop of Regensburg who has been described as "one of the most famous precursors of modern science in the High Middle Ages."[8] Patron saint of natural sciences; Works in physics, logic, metaphysics, biology, and psychology.
    • Giulio Alenio(1582–1649) – Jesuit theologian, astronomer and mathematician; was sent to the Far East as a missionary and adopted a Chinese name and customs; wrote 25 books, including a cosmography and a Life of Jesus in Chinese.
    • José María Algué(1856–1930) – priest and meteorologist who invented the barocyclonometer[9]
    • José Antonio de Alzate y Ramírez(1737–1799) – priest, scientist, historian, cartographer, and meteorologist who wrote more than thirty treatises on a variety of scientific subjects
    • Bartholomeus Amicus(1562–1649) – Jesuit who wrote about include Aristotelian philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, and the concept of vacuum and its relationship with God
    • Stefano degli Angeli(1623–1697) – Jesuate (not to be confused with Jesuit), philosopher and mathematician, known for his work on the precursors of infinitesimal calculus.
    • Pierre Ango(1640–1694) – Jesuit scientist who published a book on optics
    • Francesco Castracane degli Antelminelli(1817–1899) – priest and botanist who was one of the first to introduce microphotography into the study of biology[10]
    • Giovanni Antonelli(1818–1872) – priest and astronomer who served as director of the Ximenian Observatory of Florence
    • Luís Archer[pt] (1926–2011) – Portuguese molecular biologist and editor of the journal Brotéria from 1962 to 2002
    • Nicolò Arrighetti(1709–1767) – Jesuit who wrote treatises on light, heat, and electricity
    • Mariano Artigas(1938–2006) – Spanish physicist, philosopher and theologian
    • Giuseppe Asclepi(1706–1776) – Jesuit astronomer and physician who served as director of the Collegio Romano observatory; the lunar crater Asclepi is named after him

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.