WDS 0.40% $27.28 woodside energy group ltd

A Lesson in Long Term Investment: Woodside Keeps on Giving

1. 110 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 555
    Sometimes it pays to look back in time and look at what you've bought, what you've sold, what you've held.

For me, having now followed the markets very closely for 25 years now, my biggest lesson in the power of long term compound returns has been delivered by WPL.

My first purchase of WPL was in 1997 and I still own those shares today. There was no "Hot Copper" back then. There were no "Apps" or "IPhones". The majority (and I mean super majority) of people and investors did not even have the internet. The internet in 97 was something that you had at work. Nobody had the internet at home. it was completely unheard of to have a screen on the internet at home then. And then if you worked for a small company, or even a big one, the internet was on a specific computer, or a line of computers, where you asked to use it.

So back then we read the newspaper. And it was "paper". Everything you new about the company was in the league tables at the back, andthe 15 minute summary of the days closing prices (on the radio because you had no idea on the days movements or closing prices until the paper was released the next morning) on specific radio stations at the end of the day.

I used to pull the car over in traffic and listen to the entire ASX 200 every day.

Sounds like I'm 75?. No, I'm 43.

The point of where I'm heading too here is my dividend on my initial investment has now reached 50pc pa. I've also been buying more WPL in the last 18 months. High quality assets with long life resources in high growth precincts managed by conservative well credentialed managements always wins in the end. I could have bought or sold this stock a trillion times. I held. And on dips I bought more.

From the 50 plus pages in today's announcement there is one key bullet point you need to focus on and one key point only.

"Woodside is targeting to double its LNG production by 2027".

I'm going to buy some more now......and I've found some other companies that actually remind me of WPL back in 97 that I own today as well

good luck to all wpl holders. never sell this baby.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$27.28
Change
0.110(0.40%)
Mkt cap ! $51.79B
Open High Low Value Volume
$27.16 $27.43 $27.08 $103.0M 3.752M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 200 $27.27

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$27.29 183 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 03/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$27.26
  Change
0.110 ( 0.41 %)
Open High Low Volume
$27.15 $27.43 $27.09 959566
Last updated 15.59pm 03/05/2024 ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.