A note on Estate Agents

1. 10,923 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1955
    Look at any profession and circa 50% of interactions will be negative and 50% positive (on a single use basis) - be they medical, car mechanics or estate agents. So, it stands to reason, based on the 50/50 rubbery rule, that one will find rogues and poor practitioners in the RE profession - hence the saying: 'let the buyer beware.' (not specific to real estate).
    That said, I was schooled early to take little notice of anything a property salesperson says, given they are often compromised by a host of factors - 50% of the time. Instead, I regarding them as simple facilitators of inspecting the property as a buyer and seller both. On the sell side, I choose with great care a selling agent based on research, then I dictate the terms and subsequent sale negotiations - again, ignoring all but my own advice - the agent a mere carrier pigeon. And on the buy side, I do my own research, before and after the inspection - the salesperson being little more than a facilitator of said inspection and carrier pigeon, should an offer and negotiations ensue. - all done with pleasantries and 'hail, fellow, well met - meaning that one should make an effort to befriend said agent, all being part of the phycological dance. Agents are like all people, respect them (deserving or not) and they are less likely to try and screw you for a slight.
    In short, if one can ignore the Siren song of the agent and act independently of solicitations and the opinion of the agent - based on one's own high level of research and due diligence, made every easier via the NET, and one accepts that paradigm, then one will navigate the buy/sell experience with a better outcome - in most cases wink.png.

A little secret gleaned from almost 60 years in the profession - the above is how experienced agents and astute property operators buy and sell their own property.
    You may take it or leave it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.