A PALESTINIAN MOTHER VIEW

1. 5,748 Posts.
    A PALESTINIAN MOTHER WHO SENT HER SON
    TO COMMIT A SUICIDE ATTACK EXPLAINS HER MOTIVES
    Spokesperson’s Unit, Israel Defense Forces, October 17, 2002

On October 14, 2002, the Hamas Website published an interview with a Palestinian mother who sent her son to carry out a suicide attack against Israel. The mother is proud of the support and encouragement she gave her son in carrying out his attack. She is proud of his death and hopes to serve as an example to other Palestinian mothers and sons. Below are excerpts of the interview with the mother of Mahmud Alabad. Mahmud was killed while attacking IDF troops in the Gaza Strip on June 15, 2002 [two IDF soldiers were killed in the attack].

Mahmud Alabad was born in the Shati refugee camp on April 30, 1979. When I gave birth to Mahmud, I was so happy when I saw him, and when I said goodbye to him when he was on his way to the next world, I was happy…may Allah be praised for the fate that granted this suicide attacker his life and his death.

Mahmud arrived at home one day and said: I was accepted, mother. I asked him where. He replied: To the ranks of the brigades [The Izz-a Din Al-Qassam Brigades, terrorist faction of the Hamas]. From now on, he said, I am to be counted among the warriors. He hurried and left [the house]. He returned shortly and asked me to be filmed with him for a video. He told me that the brigades want my approval for him to be a suicide bomber…

The truth is that, in the beginning, I was surprised that my son would leave me and that I would see him no more. I steeled myself, however, and realized that my son's martyrdom was an act of Allah, and it became for me as a source of pride. [My son] asked me to come with him to film his farewell video. At first I refused to be filmed with him for fear of how it would appear, but his commanders told me that it would be considered a powerful encouragement for [other] women and youth and would strengthen the heart of our nation. On that basis, I agreed to be filmed to show our loyalty to Allah…

Prior to the attack in which he was killed, Mahmud went on two other missions…The first time he left immediately after we were filmed on video…I waited anxiously to hear of his death. I wished him success and that Allah might speed him along in his attack against his enemies. The following evening, while I was kneeling on my prayer rug, Mahmud entered, and I asked him what happened. He answered: I went to the place and I saw the bride and her family; tomorrow we go there to pay the dowry [bride is the Hamas code word for terror attack; this is based on the belief that a man who falls in the course of Jihad ascends to Heaven and marries 72 virgins]. I asked him what happened. He answered: I could not find any Jews. Then a second time I said goodbye to him…I cried and tears flowed down my cheeks…I waited until midnight, and then he came back. I asked that from now we not say goodbye but that he go at his first opportunity...

From the first time that I said goodbye, I asked him not to be afraid [in fighting] against the Jews, as they are cowards, [and] that he kill [as many] as he can and leave none alive…. And when he left for his operation, his face was radiant as if he were meeting the girls of heaven right then and there. I wished him luck and that he enter heaven and marry the girls as soon as possible.

In the middle of the night, two masked men knocked on the door [of our house]. As soon as I opened the door they said: Allah has richly rewarded you. Instantly I knew that Mahmud had been granted the death he wanted….I told my husband that Mahmud had been slain in the glorious attack. I also informed Mahmud's brother and felt happiness mixed with sorrow. I informed his sisters that I had known in advance of his attack…They were astonished at first, but they quickly accepted my actions…

I was very happy when I heard that he [Mahmud] killed Jews in the attack. When a warrior of Jihad follows Allah's path to kill Jews, [it is the act of Jihad] that gives him strength. Even if he does not kill any Jews, it is an honorable act because he dies the death of a martyr. We [Muslims] have a strong maternal instinct. We have a deep love for our sons. We always remember our deceased sons and feel their absence. However, this love weakens when compared to our conquered homeland. We want heaven and endeavor to please Allah. Allah has commanded us to fight the Jihad in Allah's way--with our possessions and our souls'. We answer Allah's call, and this gives us pride.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.