a polly identifies the real future threat, page-6

1. 13,013 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 99
    Quite right triage. The only way to reduce population growth is through education. Couldn't agree more. That doesn't mean that the polly is wrong, we are simply discussing the means to an end.

Indeed, there does seem to be something racial behind his motivations from previous statements. That said, I do have some sympathy with the concept of overpopulation.

As I have suggested before on HC, what is needed in this country and perhaps all developed countries is a discussion about what actually is the optimum population for each country. Certainly in Australia there are clear indications that in our cities at least we have significant problems relating to overpopulation.

I can recall a much more pleasant Sydney that was easy to get around in, had little problem with traffic snarls etc. When you went off camping you could easily find pristeen places unspoiled by the hand or refuse of man.

The problem with any such discussion of optimum population, is that it will require a definition of exactly what kind of living standard we require. If we are happy for people to live stacked up on top of each other as they do in Hong Kong, then clearly, we can have a higher population than if everyone has a right to a quarter acre block. It's not an easy discussion to have but if we are to make any kind of fist as to defining what population is best for Australia, then it will need to be had.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.