re: a post for arthur not on w.d.gann G'day Arthur,As you know I...

1. 4,086 Posts.
    re: a post for arthur not on w.d.gann G'day Arthur,

As you know I know nothing at all about Gann, however, you say:

They would be busy making consistent dollars in comfortable retirement, or fully retired and would not be snooping around the Internet or chat sites whilst trying to flog some product ,

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are correct in that statement in an even more general way. I am convinced that, not only are there methods of taking consistent earnings out of the market but also that there are people quietly doing it. Whether the method be Gann, Turtle, Fib or whatever I have come to believe that the actual importance is not entry/exit formulas but risk management.

After all, if you think about it there are only four questions that you need to answer to trade:

1. What to trade?

2. When to enter?

3. How much to trade?

4. When to exit?

That is all.

I think that many of us have the ability/knowledge/tools to answer each of these questions. It is just a matter of putting them together into a system that we have faith in and then trading the system. This is where the difficulty is. Unless we understand our system then we do not have sufficient faith to stick with it through the bad patches (drawdowns). The majority of people may be able to answer the above questions in one way or another but it is only a tiny minority that will put in the work so that they have sufficient understanding of how their system will perform. It may be that one can only have such faith if one has actually developed the system themselves (even if they use the work of others).

Personally, I am working slowly slowly towards my own totally mechanical trading system. I see it taking me a couple of years yet before I have it ready to go (age slows the brain). However I am enjoying the mantal challenge (currently dragging Statistics 101 up from the dark and murky corners of my brain. I believe I have a usefull advantage in that I am a competent programmer and can play with the figures at will.

Eckahardt (I think) said something like "I could publish my (winning) trading system in The Times tomorrow and the vast majority of people would not make a profit with it"

Arthur, if we don't meet at "The Dunkirk" sooner, then I hope that we will meet in the Riviera one day. :)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.