A rant on the continued debate on the Australia Day date, page-7

1. 9,110 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 17845
    Good, now that we agree culture and religion is not hereditary, refer back to the opening post, it is about environment in closing the gap.

So the predominant way to close the gap is to help yourself - education, healthy lifestyle and not wallow predominantly, note the word predominantly, in the past as an excuse for not helping yourself. These factors are environmental factors.

My view as per the opening post is that changing the date will not achieve anything in closing the gap if you don't help yourself in closing that gap by actually doing tangible things (rather than feel good things like changing the date) to improve the environment that leads to closing the gap (i.e. like the tangible benefits of education, work, good lifestyle choices, parents been parents by showing kids the right way to fit into society (and fitting in doesn't mean you change your culture or religion, it means accepting others) etc

If we are to change date I suggest 3 March as per opening post, been when the Australia Act came into being, however, my preference remains keeping the existing date as is, but I won't die in the ditch if it is changed as some on here. However, if it is to be changed I would like to see some 'closing the gaps' benefits happen before the date is actually changed, orelse like Mabo (and by Mabo I mean the $ that were meant to flow to improve the lives of aboriginals as against rightly showing the fallacy of the Terra Nullius concept) it will be just another feel good measure by non-aboriginals that achieves nothing.

For reference to March 3 - Australia Act 1986 - Wikipedia
    How the Monarchy is treated under the Australia Act - Monarchy of Australia - Wikipedia

Although I support a republic, I didn't die in the ditch when the Republic referendum was lost. I am just grateful I was allowed to live in Australia.

All IMO

Last edited by Scarpa: 20/01/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.