A Republic........Why not?, page-2

1. 80,894 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    Do we have to be a sheep and follow the herd?

Why does it have to be a republic?

What about something different? say a futarchy.

To me - philosophically it sounds like a good idea --------- getting it to work might be different - but, basically it gets around all the short term BS that we have now that stuffs us up.

To me - it's pretty clear that anything to do with Royal families is a dodo - and rightfully should be -- but, there are a lot of republics with problems as well ----

so, before I went down the road of ditching what we have (which I think should be ditched) - I just don't think that a Nation like Australia - small pop., first world, dependent on primary industry hurtling towards a high tech future - should limit itself to something as problematic as a republic.

Why do I pick a futarchy?

Because now more than ever in history - we need to be at least trying to look 50 years ahead - and what political parties we have now - in our current system - and what would still be around in a republic - I believe just don't fit a rapidly changing society -

meaning ------------------ a Labor party --------- just look at the word and the philosophy - the party formed from workers -

the reality is there aren't going to be many workers in a very near future as we know - so, a Labor party will be extinct.

ditto Conservative parties - again, look at the word - they are by their nature - conservative -

it is NOT possible for a 'conservative party' to dance into a high speed changing future - just not possible

So we need something new --------- radically new IMO.

And, IMO - none of the existing will fit in what we have now, nor will it fit in a republic -

too slow, too much of a philosophical misfit.

Pinto

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.