A Republic........Why not?, page-24

1. 47,086 Posts.
    Am I the only one who sees the irony in the timing of this? It rises while the US is in the middle of a constitutional crisis that may end in a political coup, a suspension of the constitution and a continuation of the Obama Presidency, in breach of the constitution. The situation there is much more grave than the MSM tells you.

In '75, while Her Majesty didn't interfere in our politics directly, the power vested in her through the GG solved the stand-off in a surgical manner and we progressed in a lawful manner to a new election. Without the GG's power how would that crisis have worked itself out? It could have been VERY messy.

We have the better system.

Besides the referendum would never get up. One third think what we have works just fine and won't vote for it, another third believe the last thing we need is another elected politician third guessing parliament over and above the senate [my primary objection] and another third will insist on a popular vote. Republicans are backing a loser here. Turnbull is again tilting at windmills.

The US, with the House, the Senate and the Executive is sooo successful that they haven't passed a budget for years, Obama has issued over 100 executive orders which have no congressional oversight and Trump has vowed to strike out many of them. Not a system I envy.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.