A Republic........Why not?, page-36

1. 1,303 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 42
    The current system needs a better understanding by my reading of the comments: The westimster system places political power in the hands of the elected ones ,political party, the position of the Crown is that of the representative of the commonwealth of the peoples of the country ,in otherwords , our representative as separate from the elected parliament , the people can petition the (in Australia the GG) Crown to dissolve the parliament if the need arises, this used to be taught in Citrenzenship in school, (our Constitution) up until sometime in the 70's I believe, .IMO the position of the Crown can be replaced by a President as a non political appointment if the country becomes a republic.
    A directly elected President in the case of Australia would have WHAT powers, IMO unless a perceived neutral person is appointed President ( replacing the GG) you would have the competing positions of elected President and elected parliament (thereby appointing a person Prime Minister) and two so called elected heads of Government for what purpose???
    Unless the role of the President is to be the representative of the people to maintain vigilance over the Parliament.
    The GG we have had in recent times have generally been outstanding citizens IMO, these people I would expect would not put themselves up for direct election, appointment by the curreent 2/3rds majority of Parlaiment is a better system.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.