Popular federal independent MP Peter Andren has died of...

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    Popular federal independent MP Peter Andren has died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 61.

Mr Andren had represented the western New South Wales seat of Calare since 1996.

He was preparing to stand for the New South Wales Senate when he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in July.

Mr Andren was born in the western New South Wales town of Gulargambone.

After a long career in local television journalism, he decided to run as an independent for the seat of Calare, centred on Orange, in 1996.

Mr Andren was returned to the seat in the following three elections with a strong primary vote.

He was outspoken on politicians' entitlements, retaining government services in country areas, and his opposition to the Iraq war.

Mr Andren is survived by his partner and two sons.

Tributes

Mr Andren's fellow New South Wales independent, Tony Windsor, says his colleague was the conscience of the House of Representatives over the last decade.

The Member for New England in the state's north-west says Mr Andren was not afraid to take a strong stand on contentious issues.

"He maintained his integrity right through. He stood up for what he believed in," he said.

"He was subjected to vitriol from time to time within the Parliament over issues, but if he believed in something he stuck to it. He didn't compromise and I think that's a lasting legacy that Peter will leave."

Opposition environment spokesman Peter Garrett has passed on his condolences to Mr Andren's family.

"Knowing Peter, and the contribution that he made and the real struggle that he had with his illness, makes his passing a very tragic event," he said.

"I certainly want to pass on my deep sympathies to Peter's family, and to his partner."

Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.