A2M 18.3% $5.73 the a2 milk company limited

Yes, not sure about the technicalities involved but in theory I...

1. 359 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Yes, not sure about the technicalities involved but in theory I presume the addition of lactase could be a potential solution. Just how effective it would be, and how much it would cost, I don't know, and natural A2 milk would always be preferable to consumers rather than A1 milk with a label saying "contains lactase to make it safer for consumption" or words to that effect. Obviously a2MC would be aware of this potential solution, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has IP designed to inhibit its use

Another theoretical approach might involve the use of an enzyme, DPP4, which naturally breaks down BCM7 in healthy consumers and prevents it passing through the gut wall from the gastro-intestinal tract into the bloodstream where it becomes dangerous. It is attached to the epithelial cells in the GI system, but if the gut lining is compromised (which occurs in a significant number of diseases and conditions) the BCM7 is able to penetrate the gut wall and even pass through the blood/brain barrier. I have no idea whether it would be possible to synthesise and insert DPP4 into milk prior to consumption in such a way as to neutralise BCM7, but presumably some clever scientists are looking at this.

The role of DPP4 is dealt with briefly in Keith Woodford"s book (2nd edition), which explains pretty clearly why most people are able to drink A1 milk without problems, but those with "leaky gut" or who have been on antibiotics are at risk from a range of conditions such as coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes if they consume A1 protein. This is important because the question is often asked, why do a majority of consumers tolerate milk containing the A1 protein while a minority do not? And it points to the concerning impication that with the use of antibiotics becoming more and more common, the risks arising from A1 will be increasing year by year.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add A2M (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.73
Change
-1.280(18.3%)
Mkt cap ! $4.258B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.86 $5.93 $5.34 $51.04M 8.830M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
13 19670 $5.73

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.74 53484 34
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.38pm 19/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
A2M (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.