AXM 0.00% 1.1¢ apex minerals nl

Re owners/operators of wiluna" and what they did and didn't...

1. 207 Posts.
    Re owners/operators of wiluna" and what they did and didn't do... I think you need to put these companies in context.

"Background History of Wiluna
    Located about 750km NNE of Perth in WA, the Wiluna Gold Mine has a long history stretching back to its discovery in 1896, having produced about 4moz of gold in 3 main phases. Initially on oxide and transition ores from 1904 to 1911 (producing ~ 135,000oz gold from ~300,000t) when the primary sulphide was found to be refractory. The second phase was responsible for most of the underground workings on East Lode and West Lode from 1931 to 1947, extracting and roasting the refractory ore with recoveries ~75%. Wiluna then comprised of a number of separate mining companies, basically in the north (Moonlight), south (Wiluna [Main] mining the East and West Lodes through Essex to Bulletin, and east (mining Golden Age and Brothers). The sulphide refractory ore varied from arsenic (arsenopyrite) at East Lode, to initially stibnite soon becoming arsenopyrite with depth at West Lode to Bulletin (arsenopyrite), while Moonlight was stibnite (antimony or Sb, and probably where the name came from). From 1931 to 1947, Wiluna produced 1.9moz gold and 38.3kt arsenic from 9.5mt, while Wiluna Moonlight produced 206,000oz gold, 1.9kt antimony & 3.5kt antimony cons from 845,000t in its Sb-rich orebody.
    The third phase started in 1984/5 with treatment of the old tailings (from the 1931 to 1947 period), and the plant was gradually expanded to 1.4mtpa by 1989, treating halo oxide ore around the previously extracted orebodies. Following the discovery of Bulletin North in 1992, the plant was modified to treat 0.4mtpa of sulphide through the BIOX process with 0.6mtpa through the oxide circuit from 1993, and further modifications took the plant up to the current BIOX capacity of ~900,000tpa with ~83% recoveries, as the mine increased its primary sulphide ore sources beyond Bulletin, to include Happy Jack, Creek Shear (at depth), Squib, Essex, Regent, East Lode, Woodley and Lennon (accessed from Happy Jack North).
    Bulletin North was mined out in ~2000, and since then ore has been mainly derived from a number of underground ore sources, surface stockpiles and minor open-cut cutbacks, apart from AGC’s foray into Williamson in the Lake Way salt lake (south of the mine). AGC (Agincourt) discovered Calais on the East Fault Structure (EFS) at depth when they noticed that Golden Age (a non-refractory gold-in-quartz reef) had increasing grade at depth along an east-west (NW/SE?) strike coinciding with the Essex pit on surface and drilled where it intersected the EFS, providing Wiluna with a new lease of life. AGC extended the Calais mineralisation as shown in the mine takeover position in Figure 1a, and Apex has extended it a significant step further. Apex has so much ore just in the East Lode and EFS area around Calais to solely provide Wiluna with at least a 4-year life, without considering any other satellite assets, yet alone the untested upside potential within the mine itself."(source:Eagle Research (Keith Goode))

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AXM (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.