abbott's man donnelly wants religion in school, page-28

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    Reading the above posts suggests to me that those opposed to the government and to any review of the present curriculum are choosing to misinterpret a possible outcome of the review.

To cover the major religions of the world in, eg, history, including Christianity, is by no means equivalent to proselytizing any religion. To explain to students the basic tenets of the main religions does not ipso facto include any suggestion that any of them should be followed by any individual.

It's similar to offering an account of the major wars and conflicts in history.

Given Australia's woeful global standing in education levels, something needs to be done. A good start would be more attention to basic skills like literacy and numeracy.

I can't believe that if I have a total at the Supermarket checkout of $15.25 and I offer the operator a $20 bill plus 25 cents in cash, she looks completely puzzled, and is only saved by her screen telling her what to feed in and then what change to give.

To persuade students to a fundamentally Left perspective across many subjects at the expense of an understanding of basic skills plus history, geography and maths has gone on too long.

Anyway it will be a while until we know the results of the review so this discussion could perhaps best wait until then.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.