abbotts voodoo economics, page-50

1. 47,809 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    sypaladin

Re your post which included;
    "... Those that work more, earn more, pay more tax should receive more Tax refunds. ..."

As a retiree you'd also be aware that what has been delivered to and taken from taxpayers has changed greatly over the decades since the end of WW2.

Our generation received very little welfare from governments as they strived to build the public infrastructure essential to a rapidly growing population.

My dad owned a tip truck and had to work away from home most of the time; leaving my Mum to raise 7 kids! As soon as I was old enough I had to work to support the family as well. To stay at school I even had to win scholarships.

Back then marginal tax rates were much higher, as were company tax rates. But the GST marked the start of a much more regressive tax regime while our financial systems made it ever-easier for big players to move their money round and even hide it offshore.

The mining boom and a gullible electorate gave John Howard the opportunity to unleash welfare for the wealthy while also imposing the greatest single tax ever imposed on the community; the Coalition's great big GST. But Howard still turned his back on people who had never received welfare throughout their long working lives; aged pensioners!

Labor inherited the GFC and though it wound back some of Howard's welfare for the wealthy, has been caned for doing so.

In an already over-crowded world Tony Abbott's PPL is transparently absurd and irresponsible. It's a disgusting transference of wealth from those in need to those into greed and very poor deployment of taxpayers' money.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.