abc 7.30 report re the appalling fate of unwanted racehorse

1. 13,774 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 679
    If anyone had the stomach to watch this tonight then good on you. You have grit. It was brave of the abc to show it. I have been involved with racehorses for over 6o years, but of late have stepped back totally from breeding or owning t'breds. Tonight's topic was one reason. Here is a post that I just made on Racenet under another nic.

I just hope that this show is a catalyst for change.

"This is the way it goes from year to year. The next colt to make a stallion etc. I have been circumspect about that for years; also wondering where the slow or unwanted horses go when they are no longer needed. The promoters either don't think about that that or they do and don't care. I know that horses that I have been involved with, bred even, have been 'dogged'. I still feel deep guilt. Tonight's ABC extended 7.30 report clearly showed what an appallingly cruel and frightening and painful fate awaits unwanted horses. I know that this is not the right forum for this sort of comment, but I sincerely hope that you showcase this horrible and silent side of racing in Australia, maybe even the other racing countries too. That abattoir in Caboolture must surely be closed down NOW, and the owners prosecuted. It took much stomach to watch it, but I am glad that I did. Vlandys was an embarrassment."​

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.