cerhob, Noel Pearson is a really sad case. He is a prisoner of...

1. 13,013 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 99
    cerhob, Noel Pearson is a really sad case. He is a prisoner of Howard's right wing think tanks who has become seduced by their ideaology in his pursuit of better conditions for his people. What has been really sad is to see him using the same wedge techniques as Howard to push his agenda. In my view, he has betrayed his people even if it is for the best of motives.

Do all Aboriginals feel as Pearson does? By no means. Just ask the Maningrida mob who are about to take Howard to the High Court. For example, they have lost their CDEP program, a program which has forced a large group of employed Aborigines onto the dole. There is no way that the new, full-time, positions Howard has promised will replace what has been lost. Great logic isn't it...Let's increase aboriginal self esteem by taking away what few jobs there are.... I could go on as there is much more of this horiffic stuff going on...

As I have posted previously, if one could believe that the government would actually achieve its objectives to improve conditions of Aboriginal living it just might be argued that the end could justify the means. In this case however, unless there is a significant change in the whole process, the NT intervention is doomed to failure. This failure will be all the more serious because it will set back the whole relationship, poor as it already is, between black and white Australia. Autralia's shame will be underlined.

Another Howard legacy.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.