about the magic 1.5b, page-8

1. 631 Posts.
    I know a bit about the packaging market in this country- I just can't make 1.5b add up!! If it were only one side - then the size if 3bn !! Thats just huge and is over 2 years of total earnings in the whole sector - let me put that into context - every three year contract would have had to more than double in value...

The prices for paper based packaging are about the same now as they were 10 years ago [adjusted for inflation]. They would need to be more than double to add any credence to the 3b figure - as volumes haven't really gone up that much ... In fact, 10 years ago prices were somewhat higher, due to a 2 year spike in the international paper prices.

It just cant be - that would mean a doubling in the price of packaging - and I can assure you with all certainty, that this is not the case - it just hasn't moved like that. Packaging prices move much more inline with their constituent commodities - eg boxes/bags/cartons with fiber prices and PET with oil (resin) prices, cans with metal (aluminium/steel) prices etc etc. These have MUCH MUCH more impact than anything else.

Rent has though. And house prices. Damn those landlords and their cartels!

Visy and its officers may have been found culpable of the biggest case of price fixing in the country's history. That is the correct allegation that was proven. No more, no less.

Amcor (wrongly, in my view) escaped any penalty for being the accidental whistleblower - the type who blew the whistleblower only after they accidentally leaked their own illicitly recorded tapes in an effort to prevent their own people from working against them.

In my opinion, thee whistleblower immunities should only apply to those who come forward with any degree of genuiness - and that was CERTAINLY not Amcor.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.