Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-110

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Happy for you to engage in a discussion with BF Zippo.

You two can talk about polar bears and rising Pacific Islands and how both of you can smell a rat. I have no interest in regurgitating decade old arguments that are not going to change either side's point of view.

As to your earlier post about "switching" from one grid to another - i.e. fossil fuel centralised generation to renewable distributed grid - this is not something that will happen overnight. It takes decades of careful coordination and planning. However, the longer you kick the can down the road, the more painful the eventual transition is going to be.

I am happy to see EVs be the catalyst for injecting a bit more urgency into the energy transition. With careful planning, EVs can actually facilitate this, by providing the missing link in the renewal energy transition - i.e. storage. I see the EV revolution not seperate to the renewable energy transition, but rather as a symbiotic relationship - both feed into each other.

As you correctly point out, an EV revolution with a coal powered grid does not make much sense in the long term and likewise a renewable energy grid without storage has its challenges. However, in a worst case scenario, EV still are better than ICE cars on a coal powered grid and EVs do not necessarily have to be used for storage of renewable energy. There are other ways EVs can neatly complement a renewable energy grid.

Also Zippo, you are wrong in suggesting my motive is to see EV subsidies just so I can eventually buy a cheaper EV.

I already own an my last EV (and have no intention of buying another one) and when I applauded the NSW government for its latest EV initiatives, I specifically mentioned that I liked the fact that its support was both targeted to lower priced EVs and that it eventually ceased once a certain number of EVs have been sold.

No, I am not in this out of some narrow minded self interest other than my declared investments in particular EV related stocks.

It is just that I am fairly convinced that the transition is happening and I am more interested in how it plays out, what makes it accelerate, what represents impediments to the transition.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.