Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-136

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Yes acorn, I agree.

The only thing to be aware of, your observation only applies once the lifecycle of batteries is extended, so that more frequent charging and discharging (into the grid as well as for driving) does not meaningfully affect the useful life of the battery.

I once was in the room with a number of EV drivers and when the vehicle to grid idea was being discussed, some existing Leaf owners said that they would be reluctant to feed back into the grid given the implications for their car batteries (even though the V2G capable Leaf 2 would have a more modern battery).

However, I do expect this to be the way it plays out over the medium to long term.

"A smart planner would already have this factored in and had a target established."
    ... yes... assume you already know about this:

https://reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-applies-for-uk-electricity-licence-in-potential-big-battery-power-play-66208/

https://thedriven.io/2020/05/20/teslas-switch-on-vehicle-to-grid-technology-is-big-news-for-clean-energy-shift/

It is good that sometimes the planner can be a business rather than a government. Though a government that was a facilitator rather than a hinderance would be preferable...

The beauty of this is that just like rooftop PV tiles, the incremental cost will be negligible. The EVs already have the batteries and (simplistically speaking) you just require the necessary software - i.e. the "Autobidder" platform [and regulatory approvals] - to make it happen.

I thought the following comment was very insightful:

But it gets better than that: Washington believes that the inclusion of internal V2G tech in cars by Tesla will force a real step change for other car makers.

“It will push other car makers to feature match – essentially everybody who buys a car will have a massive battery with which they can supply to their house,” says Washington.

Basically, in a few years every EV is likely to come with V2G capability, providing a large part of the solution (i.e. balancing the grid) which the sky is falling brigade uses as an argument against EVs.

EVs are not putting pressure on the grid - the ever increasing renewable energy generation is [in the absence of appropriate grid upgrades and storage]. However, rather than creating a problem in terms of putting pressure on the grid EVs are actually facilitating the accelerated installation of more and more renewable energy, which is the cheapest anyway.

Happy days!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.