Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-17191

1. 87,281 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I didn't think that power loads were the real driving force in previous years to go to 24 or 48 volt

I thought it was just the massive amount of gadgetry in modern cars compared to the technologically light cars of the 50's etc.

eg. in a 1950 car - you might have had one piddly interior light - whereas in modern cars - you can get an enormous number of interior lights - I don't know how many - one car I had from memory had about 22 ------- but, some of the luxury models could top that at a guess

they all need little copper wires to make the bulb glow - and that's where the point was - the weight of the copper

so, instead of running 12 volt - run higher voltages and drop the wire size.

Now of course - we do have massive loads in EV's - the battery to motors - can't do that with a .5mm wire, - so, I guess it makes far more sense now to move to 48 volt - because we still have a load of interior lights and stuff - plus a huge load to drive the things

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.