What is your point?I am not saying that AEMO is perfect. In an...

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    What is your point?

I am not saying that AEMO is perfect. In an ideal world, AEMO ought to have - not rung alarm bells, but - started a riot 30 years ago to highlight the importance of planning for the impending and inevitable energy transition. However, given that AEMO is a slave to its political masters, there is probably only so much it can do.

As for The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) pointing out any shortcomings of the work undertaken by AEMO: I consider that the AER's role and merely how the system ought to work.

Don't you?!?

Given the severity of the shortcomings, perhaps leadership changes at AEMO might be in order. I do not pretend to have the qualifications nor understanding to be able to make that kind of a call. Ignoring AEMO's advice or abolishing AEMO are not viable options, imho.

However, AEMO is our market operator. If it is not delivering, we must fix it, keeping in mind that it is a slave to our political masters. Government sets targets and AEMO needs to ensure that it reports on any current and future operational problems it can identify where capacity does not meet stated targets.

Given the vital importance of energy markets, I am all for more detailed disclosure by AEMO, so that its work can be scrutinised and criticised by independent people with better understanding of energy markets than myself.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.