I have stated this in the opening post of this thread and...

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    I have stated this in the opening post of this thread and repeated it many times since then...

... this thread is NOT a discussion about the Flat Earth Society, NOR is it a discussion about whether or not man made climate change is real, imagined or irrelevant.

Those issues can be discussed at length on other, more suitable threads right here on HC.

This thread attempts to have a sensible discussion about measures taken both here in Australia and elsewhere around the world that are aimed at accelerating the transition to sustainable energy and transportation.

Given that BOTH major parties in Australia are committed to achieving Net Zero Emissions by 2050

https://www.liberal.org.au/our-plan/environment. &. https://www.alp.org.au/policies/powering-australia

the only pertinent question in the Australian context is how to get there - unless you want to indulge the lunatic fringe by going off-topic.

Now for anyone who understands what I wrote above (unfortunately, very few of you do), the last week has actually been an important one in the context of this thread.

Australia has been falling behind in having any hope of achieving its stated target of moving towards net zero emissions by 2050 or more importantly, achieving the interim 2030 target of the current Labor Government of a 43% emission reduction by 2030.

Even with the proposed "Capacity Investment Scheme" Australia is unlikely to reach its 2030 43% emission reduction target, so probably additional measures might be required.

I also note that while the government underwrites the downside risk under the CIS, it also shares in potential upside of renewable energy investors - a bit like a super profits tax that the mining industry is vehemently opposed to.

Meanwhile 100+ protestors in Newcastle got arrested for extending their protest against coal shipments beyond the allowed time...

Pressure is building to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy and transportation!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.