"In 1990, 30 years ago, IPCC predicted 1.3C warming above...

1. 16,402 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7961
    "In 1990, 30 years ago, IPCC predicted 1.3C warming above pre-industrial times by 2020. It's a matter of historical fact that they were right."

Fact: 17% predictive overstatement versus actual.

IPCC.JPG

[Source: carbonbrief.org]

"You were trying to pass yourself off as a centrist, when you are clearly a fossil fuel advocate."

Where was I talking about me as a centrist? I'm referring the centrists (plural)

As for me being a fossil fuel advocate, if fossil fuels are the means by which the living standards of billions of the planets citizens are to be raised, just like fossil fuels powered - and continue to do so - the living standards we affluent westerners enjoy, then you can label me a fossil fuel advocate, if you like.

With great conviction, I believe myself to be anti Energy Imperialist, i.e., I oppose measures taken by rich countries - such as shuttering investment in primary energy production globally - that adversely impacts the livelihoods of people in poor countries. I do so with zero shame.

"In 2021, 90% of islands in the Maldives had experienced severe erosion, 97% of the country no longer had fresh groundwater, and more than 50% of the national budget was being spent on efforts to adapt to the effects of climate change."

From the ABC:

New research says hundreds of islands in the Pacific are growing in land size, even as climate change-related sea level rises threaten the region.

Scientists at the University of Auckland found atolls in the Pacific nations of Marshall Islands and Kiribati, as well as the Maldives archipelago in the Indian Ocean, have grown up to 8 per cent in size over the past six decades despite sea level rise.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-08/why-are-hundreds-of-pacific-islands-getting-bigger/13038430

The Maldives are lucky - they are a major tourist attraction so they have the money to build sea-walls and adapt.
    Ignoring the huge engineering efforts to keep the Maldives viable in order to hold a belief that nothing is happening truly is beneath you.

They built sea wall around their 1200 islands?
    Or even just the 180 inhabited ones?
    Horse manure.

As for the "huge engineering effort", not only am I not ignoring it, it was me that first mentioned it: expanding airports and airport infrastructure to service the visitors to the once-doomed, but now-flourising island chain.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.