npr.orgHow climate-driven migration could change the face of the...

1. 9,511 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 39
    npr.org

How climate-driven migration could change the face of the U.S.

By Dave Davies

DAVE DAVIES, HOST:

This is FRESH AIR. I'm Dave Davies. I read a lot of books in this job, and now and then I come across one that I think everyone should read. One of those is the latest by my guest, ProPublica reporter Abrahm Lustgarten. It's about climate change, which you may think you've already heard enough about. But Lustgarten paints a detailed and sobering picture of how global warming is already affecting the lives of many people, causing them to rethink where they're living. And he says climate migration will increasingly reshape the country as tens of millions of people move to escape rising seas, searing heat and humidity, catastrophic floods and wildfires and earth-withering drought. Decades from now, he writes, the United States will be wildly different, even unrecognizable.

He examines what happens when climate refugees take flight, something we're already seeing in other regions, including Central America, and how migrants may be treated in places they choose to settle. Abrahm Lustgarten writes about climate change for ProPublica and works frequently with The New York Times Magazine, The Atlantic, and PBS Frontline, among others. His new book is "On The Move: The Overheating Earth And The Uprooting of America." Abrahm Lustgarten, welcome back to FRESH AIR.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.