Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-579

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    You mentioning statistics brings back memories of one of the most surreal experiences at university.

I did my Statistics course 3rd year. In an evening lecture during one of those years when the bogongs had drifted off-course and ended up being attracted by the lights of Sydney. We had an obscene amount of bogongs flying around our lecture theatre and on that evening our lecturer appeared to be as high as a kite... at one stage he could not control his laughter about having used nuclear missiles in an example for some statistical problem...

ANYWAY

The world is at a tipping point with respect to global warming and the last thing you want to do is give "anything a try" (like those who deny MMCC always end up arguing that nuclear energy is the solution to the problem they deny exists).

Renewable energy is cheap and getting cheaper, while fossil fuels continue to kill people directly through air pollution as well as MMCC and indirectly through wars fought over them. Fossil fuels had a role to play, when we were ignorant of what their use did to us and our planet and when no better alternatives were available.

Renewable energy democratises energy generation by being scalable from rooftop solar to utility scale solar and wind farms. The two key remaining challenges are storage, which is also coming down in cost at a rapid rate - like 91% over the last 20 years, and achieving improved sustainability.

The real debate is about the speed at which this transition is going to happen. Anything else - in AD 2021 - is a distraction.

I am not advocating for the immediate scaling of all ICE cars and coal power stations. However, I am highlighting that our rate of progress does not reflect the urgency required due to the increasingly noticeable speed of global warming.

Putting aside the bogong lecture my statistics lecturer managed to teach us a lot about statistics, besides platitudes about asking the right questions...

Happy for you to discuss MMCC and educate others through your clever questions on another thread, but it is assumed a given for the discussion here.

I must say, that I do not feel that I miss any of the predictable contributions from the posters I have put on ignore. I only find it annoying to still read responses to posters I have on ignore. I am trying to avoid the slanging matches that distract from a more serious and insightful discussion about the actual topic as outlined in the thread title.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.