Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-619

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    I do not think the 100% instantaneous renewable energy capability target for 2025 is as deserving of ridicule as you make it out to be.

South Australia and Tasmania have already been there and other nation states have already seen moments when renewable energy supplied all of their electricity demand... for short periods of time.

That is not to say, that at that point in time renewable sources are able to supply 100% of the demand for 100% of the time, from that point forward. That is what nations are generally working towards with a 2050 rather than a 2025 target.

However, before you can walk, you need to learn how to crawl and just having a grid capable of running on 100% renewable power for a short period of time is a necessary precondition to then build out a grid with sufficient storage to be able to run on 100% renewable power for all of the time.

I realise that Australia might not even get close to running on 100% renewable energy by 2025 with the current federal government in place. Putting aside technical feasibility, I assume that the ScoMo government will put as many roadblocks as possible to prevent this from becoming a reality.

Hopefully, the states will create a reality on the ground which will smooth the path once a less fossil fuel friendly federal government is in place.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.