BruceI have been called naive before, but I am not actually...

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Bruce

I have been called naive before, but I am not actually saying that EVs will avoid the consumption of all plastics and that from day one they are the PERFECT solution with regard to sustainability.

What I am saying is that EV technology presents a step change towards becoming more sustainable.

Once again, you are practically highlighting your own misconception.

You are comparing a spent battery to a discarded tyre. Let's think this through:

First of all, a worn tyre has lost some of its mass through wear and tear. A battery has lost none.

A new tyre costs of the order of a hundred to a thousand dollars, while batteries currently cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Importantly, once batteries are no longer suitable for EVs, they can first be re-purposed for other applications - like for domestic applications to store solar rooftop energy.

Finally, you are wrong to think that battery recycling represents a COST. It is cheaper to recycle than to mine and there are already a number of EV battery recycling business getting ready to become profitable as volumes increase (it might still be a decade or two, before you actually get sufficient volumes of batteries for profits to become meaningful).

Here are some examples:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2021/03/25/tesla-cofounders-battery-recycling-startup-ties-up-with-top-us-e-waste-processor/?sh=7e4d1a56595e

VW already has a battery recycling plant in Salzgitter. They aim to recycle 97% of the battery materials. Currently they are only managing 57%, but the new plant in Salzgitter will increase this to 72%:

Other EV battery recycling businesses are mentioned here:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/05/electric-vehicle-battery-recycling-circular-economy/

None of them want to lose money... they are doing it for profit!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.