Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-13024

1. 12,782 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 456
    Greta Thunberg joins anti-coal activists to save German village | Climate Crisis News | Al Jazeera

Welllll, Greta marching in Germany. At least she gets out and about and a bit of exercise. Hope she rode her bike to them village!

Climate activist Greta Thunberg and thousands of demonstrators marched in Germany against the demolition of a village to make way for a coal mine described as “one of the biggest carbon bombs in Europe”.

Crowds of activists demonstrated on Saturday in the western hamlet of Luetzerath, waving banners and chanting as a bass band accompanied them.

Luetzerath, deserted for some time by its original inhabitants, is set to disappear to make way for an extension of the adjacent open-cast coal mine, one of the largest in Europe. It is operated by the energy firm RWE.

Environmentalists say bulldozing the village to expand the Garzweiler mine would result in huge amounts of greenhouse gas emissions. The government and RWE argue the coal is needed to ensure Germany’s energy security.

The Swedish climate activist Thunberg, 20, marched at the front of the procession as demonstrators converged on the village, showing support for activists occupying it in protest over the coal mine extension.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.