Accelerate the World's Transition to Sustainable Energy - to fight Anthropogenic Climate Change, page-295

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    Zippo

I have explained more than once that my 2-4 year "idea" relates to EVs reaching price parity with ICE cars by then. Actually, if I said it was my "idea", I could be accused of plagiarism. I am relying on some of the following sources:

https://roskill.com/news/automotive-increasing-co2-compliance-cost-in-eu-will-help-some-auto-oems-to-reach-price-parity-with-evs/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-05-25/hyperdrive-daily-the-ev-price-gap-narrows

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/21/electric-cars-as-cheap-to-manufacture-as-regular-models-by-2024

... in the last article, UBS analyst Tim Bush is quoted as saying:

There are not many reasons left to buy an ICE car after 2025,” said Tim Bush, a UBS analyst."

... sort of what I am saying. I note that UBS analysts generally speaking aim to make more money for themselves and their clients, so you can allege that my thinking is too optimistic and utopian, but much harder to argue that roskill, bloomberg and UBS analysts suffer the same shortcoming.

You again distort what I have written, by going on to state:

How EV ownership will be capable of supporting electricity grids on the eastern seaboard in ten years time and fill the hole left by the demise of the coal fired power plants?

... when I already wrote the following:

"This would not necessarily be the silver bullet for all grid issues, but could go a long way towards taking pressure off the grid. It would certainly reduce the total investment required to upgrade the grid for the 21st century."

So EVs are not THE solution for fixing our outdated grid, but they certainly can form part of the solution. That is what I am saying. Not 10 years from now, but each and every EV could serve to balancing the grid.

Here comes the tax FUD:

"Did you suggest raising taxation on fuel due to its polluting nature as an incentive to switch to EV’s?

I am a capitalist and a believer in the user pays system. That is why you found me stating my support for the NSW Liberal government's road-tax for EV drivers from the earlier of 30% of new cars sales being EVs or 2027, and speaking out against the VIC Labour government's road tax for EV drivers that is to be introduced immediately. If ICE cars cause pollution, rather than have the tax payer pay for the consequences, it ought to be ICE owners. Do you disagree? You want government to subsidise the ICE industry indefinitely for their pollution when better /cleaner alternatives are now available?

"Possibly reducing taxation in relation to EV’s to make them more appealing to average Joes?"

Given each EV provides a social benefit of an estimate df $10,000 per vehicle... yes. Happy to exclude the more expensive EVs from such reduced taxation but only have it apply to lower pried EVs, to make them more affordable to even the most average Joes.

"You don’t consider the ramifications on other Australians who may be financially less capable of absorbing financial pain from your suggestions do you?"

So you are saying that pollution by low income earners is OK? It must be allowed to continue so as not to disadvantage the poor masses? From everything you have written so far, is that really how I have come across? Happy to adjust taxation and EV incentives so they only benefit the financially less capable... I am open for your suggestions!

"How about the large percentage of the world that doesn’t qualify for zero emissions? They will still be using ICE vehicles for decades to come."

I agree. Every new ICE that we put on the road will lock in decades of further air pollution and CO2 emissions and I am not suggesting to destroy existing ICE cars. You seem to think that that means that a switch to EVs will not happen, while I suggest that it makes the transition all the more urgent. Every ICE car now sold will pollute for several more decades!

"After all, they’re barely at the stage of getting a gas light let alone a coal fired power generation system in place."

Just because they are "poor", does not mean they have to be stupid. A gas light will cost them for decades to come - both in terms of expensive gasoline and their health. Through the internet, even the poor can learn about the pollution from gas lamps and the impact on their health. That is why you get more and more poor people transition to solar energy lights:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/this-sales-model-entices-poor-people-to-buy-solar-energy-protect-environment_n_563a5aa9e4b0b24aee488203

Funny how even the most poor of the poor seem to be planning for the EV transition... like India with its "National Electric Mobility Mission Plan 2020". You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_industry_in_India

Note the following:

National Electric Mobility Mission Plan, 2020

The National Electric Mobility Mission Plan, 2020 was launched by the Government of India in year 2012 with the aim of improving the national fuel security through the promotion of hybrid and electric vehicles.[11] Auto industry contributes 22% to the manufacturing GDP. From the help of new Manufacturing Policy, contribution of manufacturing in overall economy will increase to 25% by year 2022.[12]

... they have ben at it since 2012!!! Australia on the other hand...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.