Hi Danvestor,Find a broker that is willing to do business with...

1. 467 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 100
    Hi Danvestor,

Find a broker that is willing to do business with you and does not require "retail trading"; which is where you by and sell shares in the secondary market through them.... There are many small boutiques that are excellent who will let you trade through your online broker and will only hold the issues you purchase through them in the primary market. If you are talking about transferring out IPO holdings, don't waist your time there are no brokers that allow that, only corporate advisory without a brokerage license. As a thought, I have paid a fair chunk in commissions to my broker but gain access to deals that make many times the investment. Minimum investment for an IPO is $2K and you only pay on the sell side.

The boutiques will split you into retail and sophisticated investors.

Sophisticated meet the requirements of s708 of the corporations act and are preferred as companies can issue new shares to them cheaper and faster. The brokers need a steady stream of reliable funds to provide capital for their upcoming deal flow. These investors gain access to seed, pre-IPO, IPO, and placement deal flow. The order of preference is given to investors that are reliable, hold, and buy on market once listed--through to the flippers who get what's left.

Retail investors are only allowed to invest in offers that have full disclosure documents such as IPO or rights issue shortfalls. Every IPO needs to meet the number of investors test, this largely why retail investors are able to gain access to IPO's. Brokers will usually give their spread to retail investors to ensure they meet the required numbers and as a means of building interest in the stock.

If you want to become a preferred retail client I suggest you use the information in the sophisticated investor section to build your relationship with your chosen broker, after all your money is as good as any, you will however need to have cash to support the brokers deals even in a poor market.

The issue of cash arises for the retail broker when liquidity dries up and this is the reason for s708 protections. For instance, I made a seed investment in a Nickel tenement in 2013 which still has not paid off and my money is locked up, and another seed investment in 2017 which is not yet listed. When retail investors find themselves in this situation they often don't have the cashflow required.

Hopefully some of the information here is of use to you
    Good luck with your investing!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.