Greens senator Lidia Thorpe said that Australia’s parliament has...

1. 10,034 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 17

Greens senator Lidia Thorpe said that Australia’s parliament has no permission to be here and that she’s only a member so she can “infiltrate” the institution.

Speaking on The Project, she said her entry into the “colonial project” was due to her goal to “renew the nation” and to be a voice for First Nations people.

Ms Thorpe said she also removes the Australian national flag during press conferences after Greens leader Adam Bandt was this week criticised for the same move.

“The Australian flag does not represent me or my people,” she told the panel.

“It represents the colonisation of these lands, and it has no permission to be here, there’s been no consent, there’s been no treaty, so that flag does not represent me.”

Host Waleed Aly asked if her argument could also apply to the Australian parliament in which she serves.

“Absolutely, I’m here to infiltrate,” she replied.

Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe said parliament is a colonial project which she has infiltrated.
    Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe said parliament is a colonial project which she has infiltrated.

Incoming Northern Territory Country Liberal Party senator Jacinta Price slammed Senator Thorpe’s comments and called for her to be dismissed from parliament.

“I think she has nothing but contempt for the Australian people and she doesn’t respect the position she is in,” Ms Price told RN Breakfast.

“I personally feel that the Governor-General should take a closer look at what her real intentions are and consider whether this is possible grounds for dismissal.

“She doesn’t see herself as an Australian, she doesn’t see herself as being represented by the Australian flag.

“Therefore she is not the right person to be in a position to represent the Australian people nor does it indicate she has Australia’s best interests at heart.”

Ms Price described the senator as “divisive” and “childish”.

“She doesn’t see herself as an Australian, she doesn’t see herself as being represented by the Australian flag.

“Therefore she is not the right person to be in a position to represent the Australian people nor does it indicate she has Australia’s best interests at heart.”

Ms Price described the senator as “divisive” and “childish”.

“I think she shouldn’t be completely honest about her experience that she is of mixed heritage, like myself as well, and that she’s simply only recognised that side of her,” Ms Price said

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.