Adani Coal Mine, page-6

1. 17,482 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Grindstone

I go to Oakey sometimes and I can tell you the property prices have dropped significantly, so much so I was considering buying a property there and hold it until maybe the poison had dissipated. But on looking into it imo it is far more likely that the contamination is going to spread further. The people in the contaminated area cant sell their properties.  When I was in the Army I spent months at a time at the Army air base.
    Ive also met some of the farmers affected and they are devastated. They cannot farm their properties.
    Apparently the Army knew about the problem years before it became obvious and did nothing.
    This is not some dreamed up problem by greenies this is affecting the local residents and being that it is only some 20 -30 klms from Toowoomba which is one of the biggest inland cities in Australia it is of great concern. The Aquifers could well all be linked.
    There has been too much environmental destruction in Qld by mining companies and by land clearing as well as the Department of Defence now.

Oakey Air base is not the only military base that used this chemical.

Groundwater near 3 RAAF bases exceeds safe contaminant levels, Defence report shows

PM
    By Katherine Gregory
    Updated 8 Nov 2016, 8:40pm

The Department of Defence has released a report into the water quality of 12 sites around Australia located near contaminated Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) bases.
    It is the second major round of investigations into the impact of the chemicals used in fire retardant at the Air Force bases.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-08/defence-releases-water-report/8006952

Oakey groundwater contaminated by army aviation base chemicals
    Rhian Deutrom, The Courier-Mail
    May 27, 2016 10:19pm
    Subscriber only
    DISTRESSED residents of a rural Queensland town are pleading with the Defence Department to urgently subsidise blood tests for the region, after new test results showed alarmingly high toxicity levels in their underground water supply.
    The town of Oakey – 159km west of Brisbane – has been battling with contamination of the town’s bore water system from the use of toxic firefighting foam at the local army aviation centre between 1970 and 2005.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...s/news-story/992b27863d3c861548aa9a3ef82cd038

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.