Just further to my previous post re a corporate trustee, i...

1. 1,366 Posts.
    Just further to my previous post re a corporate trustee, i should have elaborated further. I will start by saying this is not financial advice, and you should seek the advice of a professional in this matter.

There is plenty of advantages of having a corporate trustee over individuals as trustees.

- A corporate trustee provides continuous succession. A person dies, a company doesn't. The control of the SMSF assets is more certain if a member passes or is incapacitated. If you have two indivdual trustees as members and one dies, the fund is non complaint with one trustee/member. You need to take action. Corporate trustee allows one sole director/member setup, as the trustee is the company.

- A corporate trustee had greater asset protection. Limited liability folks.

- For the property lovers, lenders will offer a higher LVR with a corporate trustee as it's easier for them to deal with.

- When a new member is admitted or a current member ceases to be a member the admin is easier. You just add or subtract them as a director of the corporate trustee.

It is administratively less onerous, provides greater asset protection and makes it easier to enter intom commercial arrangements. I would question any SMSF that does not have a corporate trustee.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.