MYL 0.00% 70.0¢ mallee resources limited

ADMINISTRATION, page-184

1. 9 Posts.

Some Avebury workers will find local jobs, but not all, industry chief says

By Sean Ford
    Updated February 8 2024 - 1:45pm, first published 1:30pm

Some of the 200-plus workers losing their jobs in the Avebury Nickel Mine closure should be able to find new roles in the industry in Tasmania. However, the remaining Tasmanian mines are unlikely to be able to fit them all and a possible mining resumption at Mount Lyell would come too late to help them.

That is according to Tasmanian Minerals, Manufacturing and Energy Council chief executive Ray Mostogl."They'll find work, whether it's here or back interstate," Mr Mostogl said."They're highly skilled and highly sought after."

Some of the workers were Tasmanians who returned to the state when the mine resumed production in 2022 after a long period on care and maintenance. Receivers and managers KordaMentha on February 7 announced the mine would return to care and maintenance after a sustained collapse in the nickel price.

West Coast Mayor Shane Pitt said it was a devastating blow for the West Coast. "This is going to have an impact for weeks, months and years ahead for Avebury workers and our wider region," Cr Pitt said. "On top of the continuing uncertainty about salmon farming in Macquarie Harbour, our community is now under immense stress."We need our state government to step up and stand side by side with us in these tough times. I ask that the Premier put his money where his mouth is on the strategic regional partnership, to invest $5 million immediately, then another $5 million across the next three years.
    "The East Coast received $5.2 million for its partnership this week, yet our partnership was announced months ago and we still have zero dollars invested, and that's not good enough."

Cr Pitt also asked for Premier Jeremy Rockliff and his government to put $20 million into the remediation of Mount Lyell and the Queen River (from environmental damage from past mining).He said that would create jobs and new capability in local workers, and support the health of Macquarie Harbour. "Finally, we need the government to get serious about rolling out its existing investments in the Next Iconic Walk, the West Coast Wilderness Railway and funding for West Coast Highway," he said. "These have to happen sooner and not later.

"Diversification of our economy is really important to help to balance the impact that cyclical industries like mining have on our region."State Labor Shadow Treasurer Shane Broad said the closure was devastating for the West Coast and the workers and their families. "The last thing the region needed was for this mine to shut, especially when the economy is already struggling and many Tasmanian families are doing it tough with the cost of living crisis," Dr Broad said."Labor would like to see other mines take on as many of these impacted workers as possible to help soften what will be a big blow."The government also must now step up and support impacted workers, who will be feeling the weight of this closure."

Mr Rockliff said the government stood ready to support the workers, their families and the West Coast community."The West Coast is a resilient community and the local mining industry more broadly is performing well, with a strong demand for workers," he said. Mr Rockliff and Resources Minister Felix Ellis said the government was extremely disappointed by the decision. "The Tasmanian government has a track record of backing our resources sector and those who work in this sector, and we will leave no stone unturned to assist those Tasmanian workers and their families impacted by this disappointing decision," they said.

Mr Mostogl said the closure would hurt supply chain businesses that dealt with Avebury, Zeehan IGA X-Press manager Sandeep Kumar expected the closure would be hard for local business."For us, it's not a good thing," Mr Kumar said. He said things had picked up at Zeehan in recent times while the mine had been operating."In every aspect of sales and every aspect of life, it's better," Mr Kumar said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MYL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.