The only thing that hasn’t changed in over 100 years of footy is...

1. 195 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 56
    The only thing that hasn’t changed in over 100 years of footy is the size of the oval. The players, well they are completely different from just 20 years ago. To these supreme athletes the oval looks half the size. Therefore when I hear coaches ask for more interchange I just shake my head.
    The blame and I say blame specifically lies with coaches and the AFL rule makers especially in the last few years
    In 2012 at start of 18 team comp 12 sides kicked more than 2000 points in the minor round, last year that number was 1 !!
    The averages so far this season EVEN allowing for shortened quarters suggests that every game is now scoring some 47 points less than 8 years ago.
    The ruck contests well, in actual fact they are not ruck or contests, they are merely basketball tip outs to their feet where 20 players congest and when I hear the commentators suggest it’s a hit out to advantage I break out in continual laughter. However NOT ONE AFL coach ever wants the ruckman to hit to
    the OUTSIDE- how daring would that be?.
    Has any coach in the last year or so tried to take advantage of the NEW kick out rule from a point scored -NO
    Has any coach tried a different approach to boundary throw ins NO
    Why in hell’s name did AFL stop 3rd man up at ball ups? Well supposedly because ruckmen were becoming obsolete- sorry but Bontompelli and Beveridge exploited the bleeding obvious!! And that was that the coaches had already made them obsolete! and Bontompelli ACTUALLY CLEARED THE CONGESTION.
    Think about the 2017 GF when JACOBS kept hitting it down to his OPPONENT GRIGG- that would have to be the most ludicrous non coaching by The Crows I’ve ever witnessed. Good on Hardwick for exploiting the bleeding obvious though, imagine having the foresight to realise he didn’t need a RUCKMAN.
    I could go on but I’m hoping one of these AFL highly paid coaches gives me a ring and asks for a few well paid tips to improve their fortunes.
    Its several decades since I played football at the highest level but I think some of the points I make are still most relevant .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.