AFP Officer Recovering, page-23

1. 21,171 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 72
    The position I put is not a radical one and I'm not the only one to hold it. Last night former PM Howard was interviewed on Lateline and was asked about the incident. part of his response is in the transcript below:

John Howard, welcome back to Lateline.

JOHN HOWARD, FORMER PRIME MINISTER: Thank you.

STEVE CANNANE: Before we get to your book, can I get your reaction to events in Melbourne last night where an 18-year-old, who the Government has described as a known terror suspect, was shot dead in the street?

JOHN HOWARD: I won't talk about that particular case for obvious reasons and due process. The general issue, though, of the radicalisation of the young in Australia is very concerning and I believe the measures the Government's taken are totally justified. They of course have the full support of the Opposition. This is a serious problem for countries such as Australia. It's not easy to identify people who are radicalised. Certainly the authorities need the full co-operation of those associated with them. Not only their immediate friends and community circle, but also in certain cases their families as well. But, it's scary and we have to take it very seriously and we are not alone......

Howard not only refuses to comment but states that it is "Obvious" that it is improper to comment in the public domain. Muslim leaders are in the same position. It seems to me it's more the (religion and nationality) of the commentator that gets attacked not the comments themselves. Howard hasn't been publicly attacked for his comments.. In this country we have due process, something many Islamic countries don't. I'm not sure why we're drumming the beat of hysteria and surrendering our freedoms to an enemy that is present and dangerous but not terribly powerful.

Reaper.

Reaper.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.